You may have tried taking a hot bath, a hot drink, a glass of hot milk, or even counting the sheep … but nothing works, you can not sleep!
Dr. Andrew Weil claims to have found a way to snooze any insomniacs in 60 seconds – without using drugs.
Dubbed the 4-7-8 breathing technique, the method is described as a “natural tranquilizer for the nervous system” helping to reduce tension in the body.
As Dr. Andrew Weil says, “It’s very simple, it takes almost no time, it does not require any equipment, and it can be done anywhere.
Here are the steps of the technique:
- To use this breathing technique 4-7-8, you must first exhale completely through the mouth while making the “whoosh” sound.
- Then close your mouth and gently inhale through the nose to a mental count of four.
- Now hold your breath while counting to seven.
- Once the time has elapsed, exhale completely through the mouth in a big breath for eight seconds.
- Inhale again and repeat the cycle three times for a total of four breaths.
- Note that you always inhale gently through the nose and exhale audibly through your mouth.
As stated by Dr. Andrew Weil:
“The tip of the tongue does not move.”
“The expiration takes twice as long as inhalation.
The technique is based on pranayama, an ancient Indian practice that means “regulating breathing”.
Harvard-trained Dr. Andrew Weil says the 4-7-8 technique is an extremely powerful approach because it allows oxygen to fill the lungs better.
Stored oxygen has a relaxing effect on the parasympathetic nervous system, which promotes a state of calm.
During periods of stress, the nervous system becomes too stimulated, leading to an imbalance that can lead to sleep deprivation.
In addition to relaxing the parasympathetic nervous system, Dr. Weil says this technique helps you connect to your body and distracts you from everyday thoughts that disrupt sleep.
He adds that this technique also has a positive effect on anxiety.
Here is the return of a person who used this practice
“I tried and immediately felt better. I take medication for my obsessive-compulsive disorder and anxiety â¦ I feel a lot less anxious now.
Dr. Weil suggests you practice this technique twice a day, for six to eight weeks, until you have mastered it enough to fall asleep in just 60 seconds.
I hope you enjoyed these tips. If you have other tips to share, feel free to put them in the comments below.